Construction of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal began in 1770 and took over 40 years to complete. The canal is 127 miles long with 91 locks, each holding an average of 80,000 gallons of water. At one-time, it was an artery of the industrial revolution, allowing the expansion of the textile industry and growth of the northern cities. Over 1,000 boats used to work the canal. It was nationalised in 1948 and commercial traffic ended in the mid-1960s.